Our brass instrument teachers at the Academy are experienced, leading performers in the professional orchestras in Oslo and Gothenburg. In addition to our excellent staff we regularly host distinguished guest performers and resident pedagogues through the ERASMUS teacher exchange programme, or in connection with visiting orchestras performing in Oslo.
Among our recent guests are:
- Ian Bousfield, solo trombonist of the Vienna Philharmonic and renowned soloist and pedagogue
- Håkan Hardenberger, international trumpet solist and pedagogue
Auditions and practice placements in orchestras
Once or twice per year, students participate in traditional orchestra repertoire training with international conductors visiting the Oslo Philharmonic and the Norwegian Radio Orchestra (KORK). Master and Diploma level students can also qualify for practice placements with the Oslo Philharmonic, the Norwegian Chamber Orchestra and the Norwegian Radio Orchestra through separately held auditions.
- Regular brass ensemble projects.
- Baroque ensemble projects with Ole-Kristian Andersen.
- Trips and visits to other institutions in Norway and abroad, such as the tubaists' Chicago tour in January 2013.
- The Norwegian Academy of Music emphasises the importance of orchestral training throughout its study programmes, ensuring opportunities in traditional orchestra repertoire and ensemble specialisation.