- Year of study: One semester, spring or fall.
- Final assessment: Oral examination.
- Prerequisites: Admission to one of the applicable study programmes.
- Language of instruction: Norwegian and German.
The course is part of the Opera Concentration (2nd Module) or the Master of Music Performance - Opera Répétiteur. It is taught every other year.
The course provides the student with basic competency in the rehearsal and presentation of the German song repertoire.
Responsible institution: The Norwegian Academy of Music.
On completion of the course, the student is expected to
- have sufficient language skills so that he/she can rehearse and perform the German repertoire in German
- be able to use, and especially to recognise, grammatical forms of verbs and nouns, as well as noun cases, so that he/she can translate and understand song lyrics using a dictionary and his/her knowledge of grammar
The course includes
- basic grammar learned from a beginners textbook and texts from German song literature
- translation of German song lyric
Group instruction. Students should also work in colloquium groups on specified topics.
For an overview of recommended amounts of instruction and organisation, please see Organisation under the description of the individual study programme.
Students have registered automatically for instruction/supervision and assessment in the course in accordance with the study progress requirements set out in the individual education plan.
Student assessment is based on the learning objectives. The final assessment will be given as a pass/fail mark, which will be determined based on an oral examination. Assessments are done by two internal examiners.
Duration: 20 minutes.
In the case of re-assessment, the same procedures apply.
The syllabus in this course is a beginners' textbook. Part of the syllabus will be related to the students’ own choice of songs that they will perform.