All international applicants and applicants who have completed upper secondary school outside of the Nordic countries have to document their proficiency in English. In addition, several of the study programmes also have special requirements for proficiency in Norwegian, which must also be documented.
Find out which requirements you need to consider below. If you plan to apply for more than one programme, you may find different requirements, so please check all of them.
If you need to take a language test, make sure you sign up as quickly as possible, as these tend to fill up quickly.
Language documentation must be submitted within the application deadline:
- 15 December for Bachelor and Master applicants.
- 15 April for applicants to Continuing studies.
Applicants who fail to meet the requirements cannot be accepted into the programme.
Please upload proof of language proficiency in Søknadsweb along with your other documents.
If you need to take a test and you don't have the test result before 15 December, you need to upload a document within the application deadline showing that you are signed up for a test or have taken the test and are waiting for the result.
English language proficiency
Applies to all applicants who have completed upper secondary school outside of the Nordic countries.
Approved tests to document English language profiency
You can meet the English language requirements by completing one of the following tests:
- English (140 hours) from Norwegian upper secondary school: written and oral exam.
- TOEFL with a minimum of 500 points from TOEFL PBT (paper based test) or 60 points from TOEFL IBT (Internet based test). DI code: B387
- IELTS Academic / Online Academic test with a minimum score of 5.0.
- PTE Academic, academic test with a minimum score of 51.
- Cambridge ESOL Examinations: First Certificate in English, Certificate in Advanced English, Certificate of Proficiency in English.
- The European language certificate (telc): English B2, English B2-C1 or any English certificate at C1 level.
We do not accept other tests such as TOEFL Essentials, IELTS General Training, or Duolingo English test.