Bjørnar Utne-Reitan (b. 1994) is a researcher at the Norwegian Academy of Music and head of NMH’s History Project. He studied musicology at the University of Oslo and music theory at NMH.
In 2022, he finished a PhD dissertation on the history of music theory in Norway, with special reference to the theory training at NMH. His research is situated in (and between) the fields music theory, music history and music education. He is also particularly interested in Edvard Grieg and his music.
Utne-Reitan has published in Journal of Music Theory, Music Analysis, Danish Musicology Online, Zeitschrift der Gesellschaft für Musiktheorie and Studia Musicologica Norvegica. He currently serves om the editorial committee of the latter journal.
- Noch einmal: Grieg & Theory 2023
- The Norwegian Academy of Music: A Timeline 2023
- Musikkhøgskolens historie 2023
- Harmonic Analysis in Norway: Historical and Theoretical Reflections 2023
- NMH50: Jubileumsmagasin 2023
- Ballade: Fra Fantasistykker for piano (op. 36) 2023
- Historical Developments in the Music Theory Discourse in Norway 2023
- NMH 50 år: Perspektiver fra Historieprosjektet 2023
- Harmony in Conservatoire Education: A Study in the History of Music Theory in Norway 2022
- Funksjonsteorien(e)s historie 2022