Harald Aadland received his education from the Norwegian Academy of Music and studied with Sandor Vegh in Salzburg and with Camilla Wicks, Almita and Roland Vamos in America. He has also participated in courses with Nathan Milstein and Ruggiero Ricci.
He has been the concertmaster of the Norwegian Radio Orchestra since 1987 and was employed at the Norwegian Academy of Music in 2000, becoming a professor in 2020. He was the leader of the Norwegian String Quartet for 9 years.
As a chamber musician, he regularly visits festivals such as IMS, Prussia Cove. He has been a guest concertmaster with the Copenhagen Phil, Brisbane Symphony, Jønkøping Symphony Orchestra, the Norwegian Opera, Bergen, Trondheim, and Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra.
As a soloist, he has collaborated with conductors such as Paavo Järvi, Jon Storgaards, Andrew Manze, Christian Eggen, Ingar Bergby, Rolf Gupta, and Eivind Aadland.
In connection with concerts or CD recordings, he has collaborated with the following composers: Harald Sæverud, Arne Nordheim, Antonio Bibalo, Johan Kvandal, Bjørn Kruse, Magnar Åm, Gunnar Germeten Jr., Knut Vaage, Henrik Hellstenius, Helmut Lachenman, and Alexander Vinjao.
Among his former and current students are:
- Jennifer Koh, Soloist, 2nd prize winner in the Tchaikovsky Competition (assistant for Almita Vamos)
- Liv Hilde Klukk, Oslo String Quartet
- Frode Larsen, former 2nd concertmaster of the Norwegian Radio Orchestra
- Jonas Båtstrand, 2nd concertmaster of the Kristiansand Symphony Orchestra, concertmaster in the Umeå Symphony Orchestra
- Elisabeth Dingstad, 3rd concertmaster in Gewandhaus, Leipzig
- Eilev Skinnarmo, Oslo Philharmonic
- Åshild Nyhus, Oslo Philharmonic
- Aslak Juva, Oslo Philharmonic
- Hilde Kjøll, Trondheim Symphony Orchestra
- Anne-Randi Håhei Nilsen, the Norwegian Opera, Ålesund String Quartet
- Stine Rem Aarønes, the Norwegian Radio Orchestra.