- Year of study: Two semesters, fall and spring.
- Final assessment: Assessment by the course coordinator.
- Language of instruction: Norwegian or English.
The course is reserved for students in the further education programme Church Music II.
The course examines style and form exercises in different types of chorale adaptations, preludes/toccatas, partitas, etc. In the 2nd semester, the course emphasises the 20th century.
Course coordinator: Inger-Lise Ulsrud.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to
- possess the improvisational knowledge and skills relevant for playing during the liturgy
- display musical imagination and creativity
- have insight into the classic form typer
The course includes
- exercises in style and form in different types of choral intonations, accompanying pieces, chorale preludes and partitas
- improvising various forms of independent organ pieces in different styles
Individual instruction within a time frame of 30 min per week per student for 24 weeks.
Students must perform parts of the repertoire they have worked on within the course. Repertoire for the practical test is handed out one week prior to the test. Approx. 10 minutes.
All coursework requirements must be approved prior to obtaining a final assessment.
Student assessment is based on the learning objectives. The final assessment will be given as a pass/fail mark, which will be determined by the course instructor based on each student’s level of achievement throughout the course period.
Students who do not pass the course must perform an exam of 10-15 minutes.