- Course type: Elective course for Master's level string students.
- Year of study: Two semesters, fall and spring.
- Final assessment: Assessment from the course instructor.
- Language of instruction: Norwegian or English.
The course provides training in the orchestral section leading for master level string students.
Responsible department: String and Harp Department.
Course coordinator: Torolf Mørk Karlsen.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to
- have knowledge and skills enabling them to lead a section in an orchestra
Participation as section leader in one project and as tutti musician in two projects. One project can be included as a regular orchestral duty in the course UTREPINT Repertoire and Interpretation / Repertoire Studies.
Section leading and participation can take place in the Academy's symphony orchestra, chamber orchestra, contemporary music ensemble, or other ensembles by agreement. Orchestral projects normally last 1 week, with daily rehearsals of 4-5 hours. Projects usually conclude in a concert.
- The student must play the part of section leader in one project.
- The student must play the part of tutti musician in two projects.
- Attendance and active participation are compulsory in all rehearsals and concerts.
All course requirements must be approved prior to obtaining a final assessment.
Students are assessed in correspondence to the learning objectives of the course. The final assessment is expressed with the grades pass/fail, and set by the course coordinator in cooperation with the conductor on the basis of an individual assessment of the student’s skills throughout the course period.
Students who do not pass the course must finish the course requirement(s) in question.