- General management: rayfieldallied.com
Award winning Violinist Peter Herresthal is known for his interpretations of contemporary concertos with orchestras and ensembles worldwide. Working closely with composers Per Nørgård, Thomas Ades, Kaija Saariaho, Henri Dutilleux and Arne Nordheim, he has recorded 12 concertos for BIS and Simax and his Nørgård recording was nominated for Gramophone award.
Peter has appeared with orchestras and ensembles including the Vienna Radio Symphony, Melbourne Symphony, Oslo Philharmonic, Stockholm Philharmonic, Bergen Philharmonic, Remix Ensemble, Tapiola Chamber Orchestra,Stavanger Symphony, Orquesta Sinfonica de Navarra, Helsingborg Symphony, Oslo Sinfonietta, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Trondheim Symphony, and Bit20, with conductors including Andrew Manze, Thomas Adès, Anu Tali and Sakari Oramo.
Peter has given the Austrian, Norwegian, Spanish and Australian premieres of the Thomas Adès violin concerto Concentric Paths, the latter conducted by the composer at the 2010 Melbourne Festival. Festival appearances have included the Bergen Festival (where Peter currently curates an annual series), Risor Chamber Music Festival, MAGMA2002 Berlin; Schleswig-Holstein and Mechelburg-Vorpommern.
Peter has recorded a number of CDs for BIS and Simax/Aurora including prize-winning discs of Nordheim and Ness. His 2012 Nørgård CD was nominated for a Gramophone Award and Editors Choice in The Strad and International Record Review. In 2013/14 Peter he recorded the violin concerto by Thomas Adès and premiered Ades new cadenza for the Ligeti concerto with conductor Andrew Manze.
He is a professor at the Norwegian Academy of Music and visiting Professor at Royal College of Music London and NYU New York. He performs on a 1753 GB Guadagnini from Milan.
- NMH 2001-
- Royal College of Music, visiting Professor 2006-
- Professor in Recidence New York University, Steinhardt School, December 2013
- KMH Stockholm, Professor 2002-08
- Edsberg, Stockholm, Professor 2002-04
- IMH 2000-06
Some of Peter's students
- Mari Poll (Soloist diploma NMH 2012-) Soloist, leader. Played with major orchestras internationally, multiple award winner.
- Maria Carlsen (Bachelor /Master NMH 2010-) Soloist, Chamber musician and leader of Allegria Chamber Orchestra (winner of the Statoil Award), co Principal Norwegian Radio, co Principal Stavanger SO
- Ellen Nisbeth (viola) (Bachelor KMH Stockholm/NMH/Soloist Diploma NMH 2006-2013). Soloist with major orchestras in Scandinavia, festivals worldwide, winner of Swedish and Norwegian Soloist awards, teacher Oslo Academy
- Sara Övinge (Bachelor KMH Stockholm/NMH/soloist Diploma NMH 2005-2011). Soloist and co Principal Norwegian Opera. Wwinner of Swedish Soloist Award, Ljungränska Competition, Soloist with Norwegian Radio, Gothenburgh SO, Norrköping SO etc.
- Hanna Eliasson (Bachelor KMH Stockholm 2005-2009, Master NMH) Leader 2. violin Jönköping Chamber Orchestra
- Karin Hellqvist (Master NMH 2009-2011). Contemporary music specialist. Leader Oslo Sinfonietta/Cikada quartet. Festivals worldwide.
- Karin Eriksson (Master Edsberg castle/KMH Stockholm 2002-2003). Chamber musician, Leader Umeå SO.
Permanent positions in Symphony Orchestras
- Siri Einen (Bachelor/Master NMH 2011-). 2. violin Bergen PO.
- Stine Årenes (Master NMH 2005-2007). 1. Violin Norwegian Radio Orchestra (Also lead 2. Violin Norwegian Radio Orchestra).
- Ingvild Habbestad (Bachelor/Master NMH 2002-2008). 1. violin Norwegian Radio Orchestra (1. violin Norwegian Opera 2. Violin Oslo Phil).
- Amanda Linquist (Master NMH 2006-2008). 1. violin Norwegian Opera.
- Caroline Lundgren (Bachelor Edsberg Castle Stockholm Bachelor/Master NMH 2003-2009). 1. Violin Norwegian Radio Orch.
- Cecilia Hultqranz (Master NMH 2006-2008). 1. Violin Gothenburg SO.
- Emma de Frumerie (Bachelor Edsberg Castle/Master NMH 2002-2008). 1. violin Gothenburgh SO, now Stockholm Phil.
- Erik Arvinder (Bachelor Stockholm 2004-2007). 1. Violin Stockholm Phil.
- Anna Larsson (Bachelor Edsberg Castle/KMH 2003). 1. Violin Stockholm Phil.
- Vebjørn Stuksrud (Master NMH 2001-2003). Bergen PO 2. violin.
- Non-invasive microstructural analysis of bowed stringed instruments with synchrotron radiation X-ray microtomography 2012