- ECTS: 2 per project.
- Year of study: Project.
- Final assessment: Assessment by the course instructor.
- Language of instruction: Norwegian or English.
The course is open for master students, as a supplement to compulsory participation in the Academy orchestra. Each student can attend a maximum of 2 additional projects per year.
Note: Participation in the course depends on the lineup needs of the individual projects.
Course coordinator: Torolf Mørk Karlsen.
Upon completion of the course, students are expected to
- have extensive knowledge of orchestral music from different eras and genres, and skills in performing music in an orchestra
- show good skills and deliberate attitudes towards performing music in an orchestra
The repertoire is selected partly for the purpose of playing through and become familiar with the relevant repertoire, and partly for the purpose of rehearsing and performing for an audience. Throughout a two-year period, the repertoire for the orchestras will as far as possible include
- music from the 17th century up to our own time
- the most common forms of music for orchestras and other large ensembles
- Orchestra projects are normally organized as project weeks culminating in a concert.
- A schedule showing repertoire, rehearsal times, concerts, instructors and conductors will be available at the start of each academic year.
- A detailed rehearsal schedule and line ups regulating each student's participation will be made available at least 3 weeks prior to each project.
Participation in all rehearsals and concert(s) is compulsory.
All course requirements must be approved prior to obtaining a final assessment.
Students are assessed in correspondence to the learning objectives of the course. The final assessment is expressed with the grades pass/fail, and set by conductors in cooperation with the course coordinator on the basis of an individual assessment of the student’s skills throughout the course period.
Students who do not pass the course must complete an additional project.