Making music as a collective is emphasised in principal instrument activities for jazz and improvisation students. Project and ensemble work is an important part of the programme, as well as individual lessons with your principal instrument teacher. While learning about different styles for your instrument, you will also have a large amount of freedom to find your individual style of expression and to pursue your own musical interests. All students will form their own ensembles and function as bandleaders in the last year of study.
Departments and disciplines
- Accompaniment Listening to yourself and your fellow performer simultaneously.
- Brass Orchestral and ensemble performance.
- Guitar Solo repertoire and ensemble performance on classical guitar.
- Jazz and Improvised Music A broad repertoire and curiosity about new artistic expressions
- Piano One-to-one tuition and formative feedback provide comprehensive performance experience.
- Strings and Harp Adapted tuition and informed decisions.
- Voice Lieder, opera, baroque, church music, musical theatre, cabaret and improvisation.
- Woodwinds Rooted in the classical orchestral tradition.