PhD Programme in Artistic Research
3 years (full time)
Language of Instruction
Norwegian, Swedish, Danish and/or English
The PhD fellow position is a paid position at the academy (about 445 000 NOK a year) and requires permanent residency in Norway for the period of employment (three years).
December 1st 2019 at 11.59 (Norwegian time)
Candidates on the programme must be resident in Norway and preferably have the Norwegian Academy of Music as their primary employer. Candidates on the programme will be assigned office space but not necessarily their own office during the period of employment.
About the programme
The PhD programme in artistic research intends to secure high level artistic research and leads to expertise as Associate Professor. The programme offers a three-year position as Research Fellow to candidates who have completed the highest achievable art education (a terminal degree) within their subject area.
Please read this information carefully before applying to the programme:
- Regulations for the PhD in Artistic Research at NMH.
- Curriculum for the PhD programme in artistic research.
- Actitivites, supervision, procedures etc. for candidates enrolled on the programme.
The artistic PhD project
The artistic PhD project comprises an artistic production and a component documenting artistic reflection. The artistic PhD project shall be of such quality that it can help develop new knowledge, insights and experience in the field in question.
The artistic production should be an artistic work of a high quality in terms of
The artistic reflection should be documented in the form of submitted material, especially with regard to
- the process in terms of artistic choices and turning points
- the use of theory and methodology
- dialogue with various networks and professional communities etc.
- definitions and descriptions of the candidate’s artistic outlook and work in the field in question, both nationally and internationally
- contributions made to developments in the field, including any innovations
Artistic PhD projects at the Norwegian Academy of Music
There are currently around 20 artistic research fellows working at the Norwegian Academy of Music.
Contents of the application
The following information should be entered directly in the electronic application form accompanying the announcement, alternatively as an attachment to the form if this is stated in the application form.
- Project description
- Copies of diplomas (in a Scandinavian language or English). If the applicant has trained at an overseas institution, proof must be provided that the qualification has been formally recognised.
- Curriculum vitae (CV)
- Budget. Each candidate will be awarded NOK 180 000 in project funding. This funding is additional to their salary and can be spent on purchasing products (books, instruments, software etc.) and services (project participant fees etc.) as well as on study trips and hire of production space, amongst other things.
- Examples of relevant artistic practice.
How to apply
Vacancies will be published at www.nmh.no under “Current vacancies”.
The announcement will contain an electronic application form that the application must use. The Norwegian Academy of Music will only consider applications which have been submitted by the deadline using the electronic application form.
Please make sure to read the information on this page carefully and to open all links and read the content in them thouroughly. This information should cover about all of what you need to know about the programme. If you, after reading the information carefully, have not found answers to your question, please contact NMH. Further, the we do not answer questions about the call before it is publically announced.