Application requirements - Ph.D. in artistic research
Deadline and start-up
The application deadline is 1 February, at 15.00. Start-up date is 1 September 2019.
Application content and format
The application consists of two parts:
1. Electronic application form (link on the bottom of the call/announcement)
2. Attachments to the application
1. Electronic application form
It is mandatory to use the electronic application form. Applications submitted otherwise, will not be taken in consideration. In the application form you will fill out information about this:
- Abstract: summary of the project description
- Schedule of the study with milestones (activity plan): Per semester.
- Budget: Show that your project can be carried out with available resources. State any external resources available to you that may strengthen your project. (Letters of intent or similar.) Each research fellow is allocated project funds of 180,000NOK. This amount shall also cover participation in the research fellow seminars and other compulsory activities. 30 000 NOK of these project funds is earmarked participation at the fellowship seminars and other mandatory activities. The remaining funds can be used on literature, funding external participants, travels, special software, project related equipment etc. The Academy provides a shared office and computer equipment for Ph.D. candidates up to a sum of NOK 11 000.
- Documentation of artistic practice (must be submitted as hyperlinks to YouTube, SoundCloud or any other free platforms): Maximum 5 examples.
- Suggestions for supervisors: You shall suggest one or two main supervisors for your project. Remember that the main supervisor must be employed by NMH. If the main supervisor is not, you should have a co-supervisor at NMH.
2. Attachments to the application (upload through electronic form)
1. The project description shall not exceed 2500 words.
Several key points must be covered in the application.
Title: The title can be engaging, provocative and tabloid, however, it must be self-explanatory. Remember to give your own name as originator of the project.
Context: Description of existing research on the subject. Who has researched similar questions earlier, nationally and internationally? In what way does your project supplement or criticise existing research findings? Delimitate and define key concepts in your project.
Method: Description of how you will answer your research questions or how you will conduct your research. Which systematics (regular performances, presentations, use of reference groups etc.) and which type of public dissemination are you planning? (Institutional, national, international?)
Results: In which format will you present your artistic results? (Concerts, public recordings etc.) How will you present the critical reflection done in your project? Are there alternative ways of presenting project findings? (Papers, institutional presentations, national or international forums?)
2. Literature list/reference list: State the references used in your application. State any literature crucial to completing the project, if relevant.
3. Documentation of master degree (diploma)
Research advisor Anders Førisdal.